XMeeting is another video conferencing tool for Mac OS X. It requires client download at http://xmeeting.sourceforge.net/pages/downloads_xmeeting.php. It uses SIP and/or H.323 protocols and works well with other applications that also use these protocols.
To Set up
- Click on XMeeting>Preferences. You can either keep the simplistic view and use the Setup Assistant wizard, or change to "Detailed View."
- Under the "General" tab:
- Choose which name you'd like to appear on the remote site.
- Choose whether to automatically accept incoming calls.
- Under the "Appearance" tab:
- Choose whether to automatically enter fullscreen once video connection is establshed.
- Choose whether to show self-view as mirrored. This is checked by default.
- Choose whether to automatically hide and show In-call controls.
- Choose whether to have sound played to indicate incoming calls. If you choose this option, then choose which type.
- Accounts--displays lists of H.323 and SIP accounts.
- Networks: displays information related to various locations (ie: work and home), including the IP address needed for others to contact you. Most of this information is pre-populated. Do not change it.
- H.323: Allows you to enable or disable H.323 protocol.
- SIP: Allows you to enable or disable SIP.
- Audio: Allows changes to codec preferences. Best to keep at default.
- Video: Allows changes to codec preferences and set framerate. Best to keep at default.
- Misc: Re-place dialing prefix if appropriate.
- Audio--This audio tab allows you to change your preferred audio output/input devices.
- Video input--Choose your video device.
- Address book--store and use an address book for making calls.
- Debug--enable the generation of a debug log. Use this only to show tech support in case of connection problems.
Initiating a video call
- XMeeting uses either SIP or H.323 protocol for connecting to other IP addresses. To switch protocols, choose from the drop down menu next to the address bar.
- Enter the IP address in the address bar and press enter.
- To open the video, if it does not open automatically, press the person icon.
- To make settings adjustments, press the hammer icon.
- Audio/Video Control:
- Identify your preferred audio output and microphone, along with appropriate sound levels.
- Identify your preferred camera. You can adjust brightness settings, etc., by clicking on the "Settings" button.
- If you recently plugged in new devices, click "Update device lists."
- Test your audio input/output.
- Remote Control--Use this to configure any remote control device you may have.
- Choose to record audio or video
- Choose whether to record local, remote or both feeds.
- Choose preferred codec and quality. Leave these at default if you are unsure.
- Audio/Video Control: